Friday, May 21, 2010

Lord of the Dunk: Return of the King

And by "return", I mean my leg is healed and I can run/jump/play again! And by "king", I mean someone who plays 3 games of 5-on-5 and misses every single shot. AWESOME.

We then played a game of 3-on-3 and then 2-on-2, and I fared moderately better there. And to be fair, I made 2 baskets in the last 5-on-5 game, but they were lay-up put-backs on fast breaks. For most of the game I was getting schooled: on 3 consecutive possessions I turned the ball over by having it bounce off my hands or crotch, a player drove past me by bouncing the ball over my head, and I airballed a 3. I'd like to chalk that up to it being a month since I last touched a basketball, but regardless that was pretty shameful.

I'm glad to find my leg is working two days before Warrior Dash. Although I found yesterday while playing full court that my stamina is gonna be the largest factor in determining my success at the race. I haven't run since early March, and now I'm tackling a 5k with obstacles. Almost immediately following, I go on a 5 day hiking trip. So needless to say my legs are going to be so happy with me through the next 7 days.

As far as the quest goes, I did manage to get my squat up to 165# for 6 reps and leg press at 250#. I've held off the squats because they've been straining my hip and I need to be in the best shape going into these two events. I have been doing leg extensions instead, 55# on each leg, and hamstring curls at 70#. The sorest part after a 2-hour basketball session turned out to be my calves.

All in all, I'm looking forward to running again - although I'm sure I'll be feeling differently halfway through that 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment