Monday, August 23, 2010

Did Iverson Ever Dunk?

The surgeon said that I had tendinitis and would need to avoid any leg exercises for a month in addition to taking a daily dose of super ibuprofen. Of course I didn't listen. I ran a few more times, did some more squats, played basketball and football. And predictably, the symptoms continued.

I finally realized that I have to stop using my legs for any exercise, period, until this pain is completely away. I remember earlier this year, working out 4 times a week, hiking four days in a row, and not feeling this pain. I have to get back to that. Even if it means losing a lot of the leg strength I've built up.

I hate giving that up. I really enjoy being active and athletic. I was running 5+ miles at a time. I want to keep upping my squat (I did manage 200 pounds!). I want to keep playing basketball and football. BUT - at what cost? Would I knowingly return to a state of constant pain because I can't sit still for a few weeks? At this moment my right leg is sore and throbbing. Random muscle fibers are twitching, my calf muscle seizing... who knows what's causing that. My left leg is fine. I'm sure there's some imbalance owing to the surgery and recovery. I hope I'll be smart enough to seek professional physical therapy once the pain subsides.

So, with that in mind, I have to choose: pursuit of dunk, or pursuit of pain-free life? Despite my past stupidity, I'm making a pact with myself to not allow this condition to worsen. I am going on hiatus. I'll return to this and post more once I feel fully functional again.

No comments:

Post a Comment