Friday, August 6, 2010

Dunk-OH

As in, "uh-oh".

I think I may have aggravated my hip injury. The original symptoms I'd had starting reappearing this past week. Before I left for a long weekend in Cocoa Beach (with me ma), I'd done some longer runs and pretty intense leg workouts. I think that the combined stress set off my pain again.

Normally my hip would only feel strange after squats. Other leg exercises - leg press, quad-extensions, hamstring curls, and box-steps - did not have that effect. I chalked it up to the continued strengthening of that joint and switched to performing squats to every other workout. But when the normal soreness did not disappear after 4 days of rest, combined with the reappearance of the traditional pains (outer thigh at knee, back of knee, back of calf), has me very worried. I've made an appointment for August 10th with the surgeon (most likely a two-hour wait and a six-minute meeting). Standard cures are acetaminophen to reduce swelling (has never worked for me), and I'm hoping we can avoid another MRI and instead I'll get an injection of cortisone.

I also hope he'll be able to tell me what types of exercises are OK and which ones are potentially harmful (doubt it, as this would require the doc to pay attention to me). At the very least, I'll stop doing squats in favor of more controlled exercises (although squats are the better workout, I do not want to risk a re-injury).

I've only run twice since returning Tuesday and that hasn't made the hip worse (I think). I can now take a standing jump onto a stone post that is 38 inches high. Hopefully there will be good news on Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment